Sunday, July 5, 2015

Review: Innisfree Extreme Safety 60 sun gel SPF50+ PA+++

    I am on a quest to find the perfect sweat-resistant sunscreen for horseback riding, barn work, and for generic summertime sweating.  Innisfree Extreme Safety 60 sun gel SPF50+ PA+++ is my first Korean sunscreen and second non-American sunscreen (I have Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essence that is, sadly, not sweat-resistant). I've worn it for about a week or so now, and while that wouldn't be enough to test the whitening/healing/etc of a product, I feel it is long enough to get a good feeling of the pros and cons of a sunscreen.


 Innisfree's website has three claims for this sunscreen:

  1.  Waterproof without any white cast. This is a white cast-free waterproof sun gel that can withstand water and sweat, which makes it perfect for use in water. 
  2. Feels as moist as a moisturizing essence. This is a water-based sun gel with green tea and aloe extracts, providing rich moisture. 
  3.  Contains sunflower oil. Sunflower oil maintains healthy skin that may otherwise be prone to damage from the sun


CosDNA has the ingredients analyzed here. Not a lot of red flags, but a whole lot of lovely moisturizing and healing ingredients packed in. This does contain alcohol and fragrance.

Packaging: I love the bright orange bottle this comes in! It just screams summer to me. It contains 50mL of product, fairly normal for Asian sunscreens, with a secure twist-off cap covering the spout. The hole is small enough so that you can squeeze the bottle a little and not have sunscreen pour out everywhere. Did I mention it is bright freakin' orange? Yeah, will not lose this in your purse.


Scent: It took me awhile to figure out where I've smelled this before. Strong, kinda candy-fruity, but not really too sweet a smell. Fruit Stripe gum. That gum with the rainbow zebra mascot, temporary tattoo prizes, and awesome flavor that lasted all of 10 seconds. Smells exactly like that. It dissipates as it dries, but if you are sensitive to fragrances I recommend taking a pass on this one.

Texture/Feel/Performance: This sunscreen calls itself a gel but it isn't very gel-like. It is quite watery! Innisfree was aiming to make a suncreen that is as moisturizing as an essence... and they succeeded. It may even be too moist. My skin is combo (but tends to tip over to slightly oily sometimes in the summer), and I can't wear anything underneath this sunscreen. In the morning when I want to wear it, I wash my face with konjac and cleanser, and then skip any sort of essences or moisturizers and just wear this.
    For the first few days I tried to wear my favorite daily moisturizer, Innisfree Green Tea Balancing Lotion, underneath it, but it was waaaay too much moisture. I felt like I was wearing a sleeping pack in the middle of the day (it wasn't overly cloying in the heat and humidity though, which I found odd but good). It took longer to dry than my beloved Biore Watery Essence, and even when it was dry I couldn't really see myself wearing makeup gracefully over top of it. It wasn't super shiny, but slightly tacky and dewy.

The shiny spot on the right with the speck of dirt in it is
the sunscreen rubbed in.

White cast? none that I experienced, but I'm also pretty pale.

Water-Resistant? Pretty good, I'll say. Even though I sweated bullets while wearing it, I didn't experience any dripping into my eyes and I didn't get sunburned. I haven't been swimming in it, so I can't comment on that.

Rebuy? I'm not sure, actually. I don't hate it, I don't love it. I think my skin really likes it though, because some of my acne spots seemed to calm down when I wore it, I just have to figure out if I like wearing it enough to rebuy it. And I have er...about 10 other sunscreens to get through before I make a rebuy decision.

Summary: If you have dry or dehydrated skin and want a sunscreen for outdoor fun times, I think you should give this a thought! It isn't a glamorous and sleek, but I do reach for it when I'm heading out to garden or clean stalls. I feel like when I take it off at the end of the day, my skin is slightly better than when I first put it on. A little healthier, a little more moisturized. If you have oily skin, or want a sunscreen that dries down completely, skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment